Shu Q. Liu
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3107
Ph.D. Bioengineering, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA
M.S. Physiology, Medical School of Neimengu, Huhehot, China
B.M., Medical School of Neimengu, Huhehot, China
Dr. Liu is interested in cardiovascular regenerative engineering, the engineering aspect of cardiovascular regenerative medicine. One of the ongoing research projects is to investigate the role of the liver in cardioprotection following myocardial ischemia. The liver can respond to myocardial ischemia to upregulate and release endocrine proteins, which contribute to protection against myocardial injury. These endocrine proteins can be identified, produced by recombinant biotechnology, and used to mitigate myocardial infarction and promote myocardial regeneration in coronary heart disease. Another research topic is enhancement of endothelial cell retention in reconstructed arteries. Molecular engineering approaches have been developed and used to activate endothelial cell adhesion-promoting molecules and/or suppress endothelial cell adhesion-inhibiting molecules, thus strengthening endothelial cell retention and mitigating intimal hyperplasia and restenosis in reconstructed arteries. Overall, the goals of Dr. Liu’s research are to enhance protection and regeneration of injured myocardium and improve the performance of reconstructed arteries by developing and using engineering technologies.
- 1993, Best journal paper award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 1994, Melville Medal, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- 1998, Established investigator Award, American Heart Association
- 2000, Richard Skalak Best Paper Award, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers 2003, Featured articles (2), Association for Eradication of Heart Attack
- 2003, Featured articles (2), Association for Eradication of Heart Attack
Shu Q. Liu. Bioregenerative Engineering: Principles and Applications. Wiley Interscience, New York, 2007.
- Fung Y.C. and Liu S.Q. Change of residual strains in arteries due to hypertrophy caused by aortic constriction. Circulation Research 65:1340-1349, 1989.
- Liu S.Q., and Fung Y.C. Influence of STZ-diabetes on zero-stress state of rat pulmonary and systemic arteries. Diabetes41:136-146, 1992.
- Liu S.Q., and Fung Y.C. Changes in the structure and mechanical properties of pulmonary arteries of rats exposed to cigarette smoke. American Review of Respiratory Disease148:768-777, 1993.
- Liu S. Q., Fung Y.C. and Yen M. On measuring the third dimension of cultured endothelial cells in shear flow. PNAS91:8782-8786, 1994.
- Fung Y. C. and Liu S. Q. Determination of the mechanical properties of the different layers of blood vessels in vivo. PNAS92:2169-2173, 1995.
- Liu S. Q. Prevention of focal intimal hyperplasia in rat vein grafts by using a tissue engineering approach. Atherosclerosis140:365-377,1998.
- Liu S. Q. Focal expression of angiotensin II type 1 receptor and smooth muscle cell proliferation in the neointima of experimental vein grafts: relation to eddy blood flow. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis & Vascular Biology 19: 2630-2639, 1999.
- Li Y. C., Kong J., Wei M., Chen Z.-F., Liu S. Q., and Cao L.-P. 1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 is a negative endocrine regulator of the renin-angiotensin system. Journal of Clinical Investigation 110: 229-238, 2002.
- Goldman J., L. Zhong, S. Q. Liu. Degradation of alpha actin filaments in vascular smooth muscle cells in response to mechanical stretch. American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology 284: H1839-H1847, 2003.
- Liu S. Q, Tieche C., Tang D., and Alkema P. Pattern formation of vascular smooth muscle cells subject to non-uniform fluid shear stress: Role of platelet-derived growth factor beta receptor and Src. American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology 285:H1081-H1090, 2003.
- Liu S.Q., Tieche C., and Alkema P.K. Neointima formation on elastic lamina and collagen matrix scaffolds implanted in the rat aorta. Biomaterials25:1869-1882, 2004.
- Liu S. Q., AlkemaP. K., Tieche C., Tefft B. J., Liu D. Z., SumpioB. E., Caprini J. A., LiY. C., and PaniaguaM. Negative regulation of monocyte adhesion to arterial elastic laminae by signal-regulatory protein alpha and SH2 domain-containing protein tyrosine phosphatase-1. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280:39294 - 39301, 2005.
- Goldman J., Zhong L., and Liu S. Q. Negative regulation of vascular smooth muscle cell migration by blood shear stress. American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology, 292:H928-H938, 2007.
- Liu S. Q., Tefft B.J., Zhang A., Zhang L-Q, and Wu Y.H. Formation of smooth muscle alpha actin filaments in CD34-positive bone marrow cells in elastic lamina-dominant matrix of arteries. Matrix Biology 27:282-294, 2008.
- Kong J, Qiao G, Zhang Z, Liu SQ, and Li YC. Targeting VDR Expression in Juxtaglomerular Cells Suppresses Renin Expression Independently of PTH and Calcium. Kidney International 74:1577-01581, 2008.
- Kong J., Qiao G., Zhang Z., Liu S.Q., and Li Y.C. Transgenic Expression of Human Vitamin D Receptor in Juxtaglomerular Cells Suppresses Renin Expression Independently of Parathyroid Hormone and Calcium. American Journal of Pathology 177:622-631, 2010.
- Szeto F.L., Reardon C.A., Yoon D., Wong K.E., Chen Y., Kong J., Wang Y., Liu S.Q., Thadhani R., Getz G.S., Li Y.C. Macrophage Vitamin D Receptor Signaling Inhibits Atherosclerosis in Mice. Molecular Endocrinology 26:1091-1101, 2012.
- Liu S.Q., Ren Y.P., Zhang L-Q, Li Y.C., Phillips H., and Wu Y.H. Cardioprotective proteins upregulated in the liver in response to experimental myocardial ischemia. American Journal of Physiology Heart and Circulatory Physiology 303:H1446-1458, 2012.
- Liu S.Q., Roberts D., Kharitonenkov A., Li Y.C., Zhang L-Q., and Wu Y.C. Cardioprotective action of fibroblast growth factor 21 upregulated and released from the liver and adipose tissue in experimental myocardial Ischemia. Scientific Reports 3:2767, 2013.
- Liu SQ, Roberts D, Ren Y, Zhang L-Q, and Wu YH. Trefoil Factor 3 as an Endocrine Neuroprotective Factor from the liver in Experimental Cerebral Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury. PLOS ONE 8:e77732, 2013.
- Liu SQ, Ma XL, Qin GJ, Liu QP, Li YC, Wu YH. Trans-system mechanisms against ischemic myocardial injury. Comprehensive Physiology 2014, in press.